Many people think that both Embedded System and Embedded Software are the same, but in this post we will clarify the small different between them. At the begin we should know that they are not the same, and the Embedded System is a wider term, which could sometime include the Embedded Software.
What is Embedded Software?
Embedded Software is an applications embedded (attached) to a Hardware device to perform a specific action or actions.
So, it means that any system connected with a hardware device to execute some instructions could be called Embedded System. Such as the home light controllers or some Robot behaviors.
- GPS systems.
- Fitness trackers.
- Medical devices.
- Automotive systems.
- Transit and fare collection.
- ATMs. Factory robots.
What is Embedded Systems?
Embedded systems are systems that include computer software and hardware that do their functionality.
So, it means that Embedded Systems a small computer that do a separately task with its own hardware and software like the ATM or as a helper function in a great system.
- Microprocessors or microcontrollers
- Graphics processing units (GPUs)
- Volatile and non-volatile memory
- Input/output communication interfaces and ports
- System and application code
- Power supplies
- Digital cameras.
- Digital wristwatches.
- MP3 players.
- Appliances, such as refrigerators, washing machines, and microwave ovens.
- Temperature measurement systems.